Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Staying Positive


When I was little, it felt like every few years or so, we'd have to pick up and move. And naturally, I hated it. As a kid, life and death hung in the balance of Saturday morning cartoons and Valentine's day cards so moving was of course, a near-apocalyptic event. The moment we stepped into our new house, no matter how inviting the fresh paint smell or spectacular the view outside my bedroom window, I'd find every reason I could, to hate it. And the sentiment would continue until one day, unbeknownst to me, I'd forget to stop hating. I'd start laughing about something with a friend who wasn't so new anymore and suddenly, not a day would go by where I didn't laugh. And then we'd move again.

So, given the fact that so many of us as adults shy away from change and the unfamiliar, I am trying to keep that in mind as the strangeness of my new surroundings begin to melt into the familiar & comforting.

Oh the irony in the fact that I moved here from sunny South Florida where I was sick of the heat and humidity, not to mention all the creepy-crawlies that came with it. "I miss the seasons!", I would say, shaking my fist at any Floridian who claimed that winter and freezing temperatures were a byproduct of the underworld. And right about now, I really miss the heat. Actually, I should mention that it's warmed up quite a bit since I got here; I can leave the house wearing a mere six layers instead the original twelve...

But I shall hold true to those famous words spoken (sung actually) by Annie dashing around the mansion (and new home) of "Daddy" Warbucks...I think I'm gonna like it here...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome my friend...The story sounds a little familiar to me, given the fact that I had to move as well, although this is a place where I had been before, though not necessarily wanted to. But I have learned that the end of a season, is not the end of you, just the beginning of something greater :-)
    Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Besides a select few, you have to be a minor masochist when you voluntarily change the scenery. Things can suck a bit when everything is new, but you use the energy from being in a brand new place towards learning the ropes. Like starting p90x you adjust and even begin to enjoy things!

    ReplyDelete