Sunday, March 14, 2010

Adjustments


So...as I'm sure is the case with a few other million people out there, I've just moved to New York; January 14th to be exact. Considering the fact it took me over a month to actually be able to mentally process the MTA subway map, is indicative of how astonishing an adjustment to New York can be.

The thing is, I know that when I'm on the train, straining my eyes to see what stop we're at there has to be another person on there who's as lost as I am. But something I've noticed and adapted to probably quicker than anything else is what I'd call the "New York wall." (I'm a HUGE procrastinator when it comes to stuff like this and I've been putting off writing my first post for a day and a half now. That being said, it's 6:30am and "New York wall" is the best I can do. A few hours later when I've had coffee and pancakes I could easily be truly horrifed at what I wrote and offer a string of witty apologies to my millions of readers and come up with something that's even worse.)

I think the title in itself is pretty self-explanatory but I'll give you my ponderings to fill in any gaps. The "NY Wall" seems to be a behavior that people exhibit while out in the rumble & tumble of everyday life. For the most part, people have perfected the art of looking disinterested, otherwise preoccupied and even bored. A 15 year old kid jumps onto the train loudly reciting his pitch on how buying his $1 candy will keep him off the streets and no one bats an eye. A three person mariachi band stumble into the car and one of them ends up flying into the metal pole because the train is stopping so abruptly and they might as well be invisible for the reaction people give, or lack there of. A mere two hours off the plane, my first day, I'm sitting next to a man wearing a trench coat on the 4 heading uptown; he stands up, faces the window and starts singing, "I'm a Genie in a Bottle" and licks the door. My head pivoted so fast I lost my balance sitting down. I wanted to see who else was witnessing the craziness; someone who could meet my eye and together, we could come to a non-verbal agreement on the situation and relax back into our personal dealings, but no. No one did anything.

So you see, there is something there. And I could go on writing much more on the subject but it is now 6:50ish AND I just remembered this is Daylight Savings...no wonder I'm extra delirious. I'm going to lay back down and dream about my pancakes and coffee. I love breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. One Time for big city life! You have to give it up for any group of people who can see a grown man in a suit play video games, an elderly woman shove people twice her size with elbows out for a train spot, and a 20something guy pee his pants without batting an eye.

    ReplyDelete